Monday 28 May 2007

Philanthropy begins in Ghana

Rather than dedicating my finite resources of sanity to the production of postcards, letters, blog posts and other forms of correspondence, I thought I might dabble in paying for the privilege of communication. This comes about from leaving my Skype status on 'Skype Me!' for a couple hours one unsuspecting day and getting the usual Chinese cyber-marketing wank and invitations to sex chat (...mmmm, sounds interesting that one). Among the unsolicited messages however, was one from 'Agnes' allegedly based in Ghana. She told me a story about how her parents had recently been killed in a traffic accident and as a result she was in desperate straits. She was no longer able to attend nursing school or even feed or clothe herself without the aid of her local pastor. Yep, it had scam written all over it, but she seemed just that bit sincere enough to elicit my sympathy. I challenged her to write me a hand-written letter describing her situation in detail, and sure enough it arrived in the post today.

So, is it enough evidence to register as genuine? We're not without an extra bob or two, and we already contribute to a few charities by direct credit on a monthly basis, but this is something different. Agnes needs US$470 to pay for her fees asap. I'm sorely tempted to fill out a postal order tomorrow, but I guess I shouldn't let my munificence get the better of me too soon. Charitable contributions aren't always reciprocated in kind. If she's truly genuine then I'd like to help her out, but I don't want to get fleeced when there are millions more in need out there. Ach, those ethical and moral dilemmas, huh? They've been a long time coming. Wait till I tell you about the efforts we're about to launch to adopt some Russian or Lithuanian children...

1 comment:

tvc said...

andrew, you can't be serious. You really are a fanny, as Fraz would say. Of course it's a scam and asking her to write a letter doesn't really prove shit. Read the article about scam-baiters in this month's Atlantic. These guys string along scammers getting them to do more and more ridiculous tasks in order to finally get the ever elusive money they want. Here's what you should do next:
Thank her for the letter and state that you have developed a romantic interest in her since you are a lonely Kiwi batchelor. Tell her however, that before wiring her the money to tide her over till you can rescue her from Africa and take her to the Land of Milk & Honey, you need to see some detailed naked pictures of her just to be sure that, well, she's what she claims to be, perfectly "healthy" etc....
I dare you, double-dare you to do this. I'm sure it'll work. Then you'll have to post it all on the Blog and we'll all have a big laugh